Welcome to the Amphibian and Reptile Groups of the UK (ARG UK). We are a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) registered with the Charity Commission of England and Wales with charity Number 1165504. The objects of the charity are to promote the conservation of our native amphibian and reptiles and their environment by promoting and supporting a network of independent Amphibian and Reptile Groups (ARGs). To find out more about us you can pdf download our constitution here (320 KB) . There are over 45 active ARGs based in England, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Isles and we also have a strong link with the Herpetological Society of Ireland.
ARG UK does this by:
- Providing public liability insurance for ARGs.
- Providing free websites for new groups in the UK
- Supporting and helping to organise regional conferences and the annual national conference(the Herpetofauna Workers' Meeting).
- Publishing advice notes on topics related to the conservation of amphibians and reptiles.
- Managing the ARG UK 100% Fund, which provides up to £250 for ARGs to carry out practical projects for the benefit of amphibian and reptile conservation.
- Provide online recording through 'the Record Pool' to help capture herpetofauna data from across the UK
Administration of the ARG UK network is carried out by a co-ordinating Panel - a group of volunteers including the CIO trustees, various executive posts, and representatives from local ARGs across the UK. Panel members are elected every year at the AGM.
To find out more about your local ARG go to the local groups page of our website. Here you will find contact details for your nearest amphibian and reptile group. Many ARGs also have their own web-sites, where you can find out more about the work they do, in your locality, and details of events that you can join in with.